Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I love my Kuerig......

I am sure there are some new Keurig users out there.  We bought one for my daughter for Christmas and then my husband got one for me.  I LOVE it!!!   However, I quickly found out that those little Kcups can add up.  You know, the ones that are pre filled with coffee.  The ones that make life so convenient because you just pop the little thing in the machine, push a button and in about a minute you are sipping on your fresh brewed cup of coffee. I can be running late but while I am getting my purse gathered and coat on my coffee is brewing, I just grab it and go. But I think it is around 50 or 60 cents a cup, maybe more.  Now I know that is slightly cheaper than McDonalds and much cheaper then coffee house lattes but still it can get expensive.  Especially if you are drinking several cups a day.  So I bought one of those My Kcup things.  It has a permanent filter in it but sometimes grounds found their way into my cup and I didn't think it was as good, still good but I liked the Kcups better.  Plus you had to pop out the housing for the Kcups and slip in the My Kcup.  Not a huge deal but still.......  anyway I was browsing on Amazon and came across these little caps that you put on your used Kcups after filling them with your coffee.  They were pretty cheap and the reviews were all positive (I always look at the reviews).  They are called DisposaKup Lids.  So I ordered them. Here is what I got:
Just the lid, not the cup.  I got 100 lids and I love them.  So this is how they work.  After you have brewed your coffee from the Kcup you bought at the store, you take off the foil top, rinse out the coffee and let it dry.  So I started this when I ordered mine so I had a few saved up when the lids arrived.  This is what it will look like once it is dry.------>  See the little filter in there?  Keeps all the coffee in the pod, none will make their way into your cup :)  After you have some cups ready you just put your own coffee in and pop on the cap.  Sometimes the caps can be tough to put on till you get the hang of it.  They fit tight which is good.  It needs to handle the pressure of the water that makes Keurig coffee so good but it also can be a challenge.  I found that walking my fingers around the lid while pushing up from the bottom of the cup worked for me.  Don't squeeze the cup because they will collapse on you.  I fill about 4-6 up at once so they will be ready for me when I want my Starbucks house blend coffee.  When I do I just pop it into the machine like my purchased cups.  I always line up the punctured hole on the bottom with the needle in the machine so I don't have more then one hole in the bottom of the cup so there is not extra water coming out.  I don't know if it matters but I read that in one of the reviews.  When you are done the lid will have a hole in the top.  If I am making a second cup (or 3rd or 4th......) I just reuse the lid and cup.  Save even more money :)
Here is a picture of my coffee basket.  It was on sale at Michael's for 40% off and much cheaper then one of those holders Keurig makes.  Plus I have my tea and sweetener in there and sugar bowl.  Everything is much neater then it was before.  So enough of my rambling on about coffee.  If you have any Keurig tips I would love to hear them.

Traci




No comments: